The Wet & Sunny West Coast

The rainfall of the last few days was needed, each drop a soothing balm. Of course, balance is bliss so we want the right amount of wet drops … not too much or too little. Below, the rain rolled down the fairy's hand where a spider had spun its thread.
Rain and the Poets and Storytellers United prompt "write something that includes a complete title of a favorite book" brought to mind With My Umbrella I Can: The Magical Journey of Penelope Puddle. In the story, a little girl's umbrella is a creative prop more than a canopy to ward off the weather. The overall concept was in part inspired by the West Coast that is becoming less wet. Although not embedded with the book's title, the poem below is in the book and alternatively named Rain Call and Come Out And Play.
The weather can be intense so it is nice that umbrellas can be used for rain, sunshine and all that comes in between, especially in the face of dryer, hotter summers.
The photo of me that I've posted before was taken some five years ago. I've changed since then, even though the time that's gone by feels closer to five seconds.
The recent sky over Kwomais Point Park is an infinite playground for clouds and a good place to roam and imagine. Kwomais means "a place of vision". The Semiahmoo Salish tribe, it is said, used the land for spiritual renewal. The area on a bluff also made the perfect lookout spot for approaching enemies and friends. In the early 1900's, a former Methodist minister obtained 136 acres which he divided into lots. A portion, designated as a park, became a summer camp the United Church oversaw until the City of Surrey purchased the land for public use in 2007. It could have been sold to developers.
Instead, the gates came down so everyone could be uplifted by the paths and views.
Sometimes I stop gazing at screens, put away the camera, go outdoors and let nature wash over me ... casting my hopes and stagnant dreams into the freshly showered air.
Explore more at Poets and Storytellers UnitedSKYWATCH and Saturday's Critters


Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the  Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

HOLD ONTO THE LIGHT

Comments

  1. Hello,
    The rain drops are welcome here, we have had a steady drizzle all day. Love the poem and the cute photo of you. Love the views of the water and park, the cute chimes and the pretty sky. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You create wonderful feelings here with your umbrella, the rain and nature ~ Beautiful post, words and photos ~ delightful ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...rain drops have few and far between here in May and June. The sky over Kwomais Point Park is a delight. Thanks for sharing and stopping by. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A city purchasing land for public use. That gives me hope for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly came out and played.........with words Love your poem My favourite line Reflections in pools mirror of bright inner skies What a beautiful picture of you and love that picture of the fairy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a playful poem. Makes me want to splash in a puddle. I love umbrellas too and those skies are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the umbrella photo of you. I wish I had a parasol sometimes. I got a big ugly hat I wear outside instead.
    I love it when land is preserved for public use. We need more such land.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So grateful that the place of vision is accessible to all

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious poem! And I enjoyed the accompanying pics and musings. I don't normally think of rain as something to go out and play in, associating it with cold weather (I hate the cold) – but Penelope's point of view is quite infectious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the joy in your poem but rain isn't something I want to play in... not if you live in the tropics and have a proper, long monsoon season.. there can be way more of it than you ever want!!!! Nice pictures, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really nice pictures, the prose I liked the cloud's playground best. Just a few years ago the west, southern part, was terribly dry. Times and climates change.
    Nice write, very Interesting.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy how your posts are journeys in photos, I love the image of you under the umbrella .. cannot imagine 60 months have altered your essence, I love rain. Here on Oregon's High Desert, we do not get it all that often and when we do I am sublimely happy. Beautiful gift of poetry today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maria - generally, I love rain. Especially in July and August, when precipitation is an extremely rare commodity in Montana. But if the rain is accompanied by lightning, that is a scary thing, owing to the potential for wildfires. So sad that such a blessing can become such a problem!!! Love the picture of you under the umbrella!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The rain ..its splashing out my window as I'm reading yours...love your pic along with the others

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look nice, Maria, under that lovely parasol. Rain is mostly beneficial but sometimes cruel. Our rainy season, Apricot rains, is long but I’ve been enjoying it. I always carry all-weather umbrella with UV coating with me. I remember my childhood happy with waterproof boots and hat.
    I love the poem in the book, especially, “Puddles seep where deserted dream creep /Reflections in the pool mirror bright inner skies /Or rain-washed adventurers pouring outside.”

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your poetic invitation--with all those vivid images--leave me yearning for rain... It's been a long time since I've played in the rain. And it would be so wonderful right now, when NYC is so hot.

    Love your parasol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather