Empty Bucket

Long ago and not so far away my husband worked in downtown Vancouver at the structure that looks like a saucer. It's a restaurant now but in those days the building held engineering offices for a company called West Coast Energy. On a recent visit to a medical building, the view of it amid the skyline across False Creek was stunning. I suspect this city is on many "bucket lists", the Poets and Storytellers United prompt for this week. Although I make plans, I've never created a must-do list for a metaphorical bucket, maybe because each goal achieved can seem one step closer to life's final act.
Beneath a smattering of clouds, the Burrard Street Bridge (below) was also visible through the tinted glass. I wrote about the bridge in an earlier post HERE.
At first glance there seems to be one bridge on the horizon but if you look closely there are actually two with the Granville Street Bridge at the forefront.
Since waiting is part of any routine doctor visit, I had a chance to jot down a few verses for the prompt, knowing my outlook on the matter is really rather fluid.
The Vancouver region seemed a much rainier place when I came to B.C. as a child from Quebec. My personal recollection is of a lot more rain and less sun. Indeed, a wet climate is how the Penelope Puddle character and her umbrella developed over time.

These days, however, out of control wildfires in parts of Western Canada have become common in summer months and now Eastern parts of the country are ablaze. Because bucket lists often include travel due to curiosity and a love for the planet and its creatures, learn about the most pressing issue of our time by linking to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

Comments

  1. Hello,
    Love the city skyline and the view of the mountains. It is nice to have a bucket list =, even if it is only to dream about. Dreams about happy times. My bucket list is only in my head. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I know several people from the Vancouver area, but I've never been there. The skyline is beautiful, but too crowded for me. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Maria - What a beautiful skyline! The photos remind me of the downtown Kobe nestled at the stretching mountain range, though not so densely packed with buildings. I’ve watched with dismay the recent news of smoggy East Coast and the out-of-control wildfires of Canada. In my country, changing rain patterns have been making many land more prone to landslides and flooding. As for “bucket list”, I learned the English phrase for the first time. One is travelling to the places I have always wanted to visit but have missed the chance. Take care.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bucket list of travel seems similar to mine. We liked our visit to Vancover, best on my mine was out to the boat docks and having Fish and Chips on a picnic table. My bucket is fairly well depleted for travel. For Canada weve been to both east, west, south the middle and north as far as to Yukon Territory. We have visited all 50 U.S. States and at least 79 countries.
    Enjoy your travel!! BTW, in Canada we best enjoyed Quebec City, Montreal, and the East Township. We live in Texas, Katy western suburb of Houston. Come visit.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely with the mountains in the backdrop... Canada was on my bucketlist when I lived in the US only for Niagara falls, which I went to visit. Many years later, while surfing the net, I realized I should have done Banff National Park or the train ride... but now I have no travel bucket list...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son just moved to Victoria, so I'll see this skyline sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope, you're not alone. I don't have a bucket list either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can hear them ping as they hit the list. I love that the mountains are still taller than the building.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fell in love with Vancouver and Victoria Island the first time I visited ... in the mid 90s. Granville Island and Stanley Park are my favorite places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have a bucket list either. I am happy with what I have and where I am. Horrible situation with all of your bush fires over therethis summer. Pray for rain ! Rall

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for adding to my armchair travels! Vancouver looks like an impressive city. As you now know, you are far from alone – and as I now know too. I'm, surprised how many others feel as you and I do about bucket lists.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for presenting these lovely photographs this week. Agreed that the bridge appeared like one bridge not two bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous skyline photos ~ like the bridge one ~ and no bucket list here either ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter, and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like you, I never formulated a bucket list. Accepting opportunities as they arise works for me. Letting life surprise me is rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have traveled the world, somehow never made it to Vancouver BC. Your photos are beautiful, your poetry amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic scenes and I enjoyed reading your bucket list. I have been to Victoria on two occasions. What a lovely city to stay for a while, as does Vancouver. You have such a way with words, always enjoyed. Do hope the fires calm down soon. I have been concerned for you all up there. Stay safe up there :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Travel is on my list. Especially traveling to the places my dear friend wanted to visit. With her ashes in a locket, it's like she's visiting them with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very touching, Rommy. You are a true and golden friend.

      Delete
  19. "maybe because each goal achieved can seem one step closer to life's final act" - you know, I never thought of this before in these terms, but is makes sense as one reason why the concept of a bucket list has never appealed to me. Nice Vancouver pics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you feel 10 feet tall...then you are !...Nice poem....RALL

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful poem, especially that last stanza. And what stunning skyline pictures you have captured. Like JYP, I was also taken with the same line she quoted. A thought-provoking post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you all for your comments. They are always much appreciated and add colour to the content.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather