Nature's Finishing Touches & Canada Day

Who needs a lawnmower when you have llamas and alpacas? I saw these compelling newly  sheared creatures from a distance through a farm fence. They barely raised their heads so I couldn't clearly see the luscious lashes that framed their large soulful eyes as they methodically munched on grass freshly washed by the morning's rain. Raised for wool and companionship rather than as livestock to eat, these lovely animals do not elicit the twinges of guilt I typically feel when seeing farm animals. In turn, as vegetarians they do not need to kill other creatures to exist. What could be more perfect in life's scheme and to inspire my poem, especially since llamas were created with unique "finishing touches", this week's prompt from Poets and Storytellers United.
At this writing, these grazers are probably still contentedly, peacefully munching ... 
  
and munching ...
   
and munching ...
   
while Canada Day approaches and I contemplate my parents' harrowing trip by ship.
    
My thoughts are of their sea-tossed journey in the late 30s, leaving loved ones and riches behind to struggle in an unfamiliar land with only a few paintings and personal treasures to remind them of Ukraine, parts of which were under Polish rule at the time and more recently in Russia's brutal sights once again. People come to Canada where its mission is to welcome diversity and although there is room for improvement, it's a vast and spectacular country that importantly is at peace in this snapshot of history.
   

Explore more at Poets and Storytellers UnitedSKYWATCH and Saturday's Critters


Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the  Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

HOLD ONTO THE LIGHT

Comments

  1. Those Lamas are very peculiar looking creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sooo right, and God made them that way. But there are others too, wolves, vultures and other hawks, alligators , the entire seafood chain, and so one. Love your Poem also.
    BTW, I am starting my other blog with a Zebra family of four. There is no grass in sight where they stand.
    https://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2023/06/letter-z-fridays-weekend-roundup-10.html?m=0
    When I leave here I'm going to look up "Canada Day", My ancestors are 1/4 Isle of Man, 1/4 German, and 1/2 English (Fletcher by name, not sure if related to the poet, but am sure had Moses Fletcher who came to the U.S
    on the Mayflower to be a cousin/uncle).
    TMI? Sorry,
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about the poem. Haha ... never too much information, Jim!

      Delete
  3. I hope I soon have the opportunity to look a llama in the face. They should use one as a character in an animated film because they have so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Llamas are such unlikely creatures but I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How brave your parents were! I think of all those who suffer still under the rule of dictators. While I have ancestors who came to Canada by ship long ago, they weren't fleeing oppression, but have their own unique stories on how they came... One was a stow-away on a lumber ship from Liverpool, England... His father, I've been told, was a bit of a dictator himself, and the child (my great-grandfather) was put on the ship by his mother at age 11 to send him away from his father's hand. I'm sure there's more to the story that I will never know. He ended up living with the Captain of that ship and his family in Digby, Nova Scotia and later married the Captain's daughter. Some stories apparently have fairly tale endings... :) And now I have Canada in my blood:) I get goosebumps when I hear Canada's National Anthem!

    Love the peaceful Llamas :)

    Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic story, Mystic! When one looks for it, so many of us find roots that could be in the pages of a really enthralling novel.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful and unique animals. I like their hair cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful poem! We have many llamas here on farms ~High Desert living in Bend Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The llamas are adorable... also am so glad your family found a safe and welcoming home in Canada. Nations need to open their arms wide in moments of stress. Happy Canada day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are llama and alpaca farms near me too. I keep meaning to go see them, from one Peruvian transplant to another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,
    Happy Canada Day! They are adorable critters! I am sure their wool feels delightful.
    Love the poem and your wonderful photos! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Canada Day to you ~
    Awesome photos of the llamas ~ they are special ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these beautiful animals too. Whenever we see them in our travels I always want to stop and get closer! Fun photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Canada Day! There is a lamas ranch near where my son lives and I always smile when I see them in the fields.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Much more eco friendly than a lawn mower for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Canada Day! Our lamas ranches seem to have disappeared. We had two of them. I would go visit them each summer. Marvelous photographs of these wonderful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belatedly hoping youall had a nice Canada Day, I'd like to share this post especially with alpaca fancier Beth Ann Chiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Thanks for stopping by. I'm not familiar with Beth but now know the farm had both llamas and alpacas. It's not always easy to tell the difference but both species do spit, the "finishing touch" in my tongue-in-cheek poem. :)

      Delete
  17. Hello, Maria. I haven’t seen Llamas in person. They are so cute munching and munching in peace. In Nara Park, there are powerful “natural mowers”, too. Deer not only graze but also keep the whole grass of the spacious park clean and healthy. Canada is one of the few countries I can send my grandchildren to widen their horizon with peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful animals. I'm so glad you accompanied this lovely poem with photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather