The Places We Go

"Baby. You’re going to find yourself in dark places. You decide if that dark place is a burial or a planting." - Dorothy Mae Adams-Streeter, mother of Mayor Eric Adams

Moms sometimes do know what to say, as appears to be the case for the New York City Mayor who quoted his mother's advice in youth that he took to heart. There are times when our very existence seems to hang in the balance like the stones on a log.

Penelope found balancing an umbrella at the tip of her toes is bliss. Literally and figuratively, balance is what helps keep the universe, and all of us in it, afloat.

Someone or perhaps many people put a lot of effort into stabilizing these stones.

The burrowed knot in the beach log looked like a bird's nest and the stones like eggs.

I guessed the pet on the road got a lot of love from his owners and was not as sad as he looked. I fell for his sagging solemn charms and took many pictures.  

The dog watched me carefully ... completely unconcerned but perhaps a bit curious. 
  
I left him on the path and passed a cozy home tucked into a wooded area.  

If I were a child thinking the world was safe and friendly, I might run up the stairs, knock on the door and say, "Please let me in! I want to peek inside. Can we visit? And is this a magical place where trees secretly talk to one another?" (see answer below)

 



Turns out trees do speak a secret language. Learn what they say in the video below.


Explore more at SKYWATCH FRIDAY and see Saturday's Critters.

Still the kid I used to be

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle and Musings of A Puddlist In B.C. to view more West Coast scenes.

Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.


Comments

  1. Wonderful post and quote and awesome doggie photos and sweet house ~ great photos ~ Xo

    Wishing you love and laughter in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love balanced rocks. The ones you found that use pieces of wood are very cool. I've never seen anything like that.

    I have read a couple books about the wood wide web and it just blows my mind about the connections. I haven't looked at forests the same since. I love your short video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those balanced rocks on planks of wood! I used to balance rocks in my yard - was very soothing to do that. A Zen kind of thing... And the old dog with sad eyes captured my heart... I think there is a famous poem by Rilke or Rumi about trees talking to each other - in a mystical way :) Can't think of it right now... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great quote! Our moms could be very wise. I loved all these images, and if I saw that sweet dog's expressive face, I would have taken a zillion photos. A pleasure to visit as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the quote. The balanced rocks and sticks are very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    Pretty views of the beach and the balanced rocks are a neat sight. I love the sweet old dog and his gray face. I hear the trees talking during my walks in our local forest. Pretty capture of the Robin! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Given the price of homes in Vancouver right now that little house in the woods would probably set you back more than your life's earnings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,:=) Many interesting finds, in particular the log with the knot "nest" with stones which look like eggs, and the balancing stones. Life is also like that, getting the right balance in life is crucial to our existence. I have always heard that Mum knows best. Lovely woodland property, and picture of the cherry blossom, also the robin, and soulful looking dog.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like pebbles you can do a lot with them ! I used to choose pebbles which had the shape of a cat and transformed them into cats using acrylic colors, I sold them rather quickly ! The doggy seems to be quite old he has a grey beard !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those rocks are very cool! I love seeing stacks here when I hike on some trails. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved seeing the balanced stones at the beach when I used to stay at the hotel in Steveston. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Maria - Thank you for the quote. By association I remembered “Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.” by Martin Luther. “Sagging solemn charm” is aptly described. The dog looks trying to remember something with nostalgia. I enjoyed seeing the balanced stones and such an interesting video. I’ve learnt a lot as always.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather