Smaller Than the Smallest Speck

"I put up my thumb and it blotted out the planet Earth." - Neil Armstrong


Have you got a moment to spare? It will take about four minutes to join me on a fantastical journey through the planets and stars. Deviating from my usual paths, I set my sights heavenward with help from the newly completed 20-year Sloan Digital Sky Survey. Their short video found on YouTube represents the most detailed 3-dimensional map of the night sky. It measures positions and distances of more than 4 million galaxies and quasars where Earth is revealed to be smaller than the smallest of specks. Such a splendidly designed map is sure to shed better light on the mysteries of the universe. As life on our infinitesimal globe struggles and thrives, it is hard to believe that we alone speculate in the cold vastness of the cosmos. Surely unknown life forms in space and time are also awestruck and wonder about their origins.

Although it reminds me of the suits some medical professionals wear during this pandemic, what better place to share this photo of my husband playing astronaut at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre in Vancouver, taken for laughs a while back.

Explore more horizons at SKYWATCH and OUR WORLD.

Postscript, August 2: In keeping with the theme of this post, I want to acknowledge that astronauts Behnken and Hurley came back to Earth following their historic 63-day off planet mission. Check out their return speeches HERE.

Still the kid I used to be

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle and Penelope Puddlisms: BC Life Is A Whale Of A Ride to view more West Coast scenes.

Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.


The power within is electric

Comments

  1. Hello, I enjoyed the video, the night sky is beautiful. Our universe is amazing. The photo of your hubby the astronaut is wonderful. Take care, stay safe! Have a great day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing video shows ...!.

    If you look at astronaut clothing there are similarities with medical clothing to treat corona patients.

    Greetings from Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And wouldn't you think we could just learn to take more care of this blue dot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A dream came true for me, I have a wonderful sky view only with my eyes ! I even sometimes get up in the middle of the night to admire the stars and the full moon when it's full of coursee ! We have now such a wonderful view and the skies are so pretty. Somtime on sunset you think the sky is on fire !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome video ~ thanks ~ ^_^ ~ Amazing !

    Live with love each moment,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'd make a good astronaut! I love stargazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I feel small. Tonight we are going to try and see the comet - just waiting for an hour and it should be dark enough!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the video so interesting....thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the video, thanks for sharing. I wish all humans would respect mother earth, it's all we got.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Mr. Spock would say, "fascinating!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fascinating this journey through the stars! Thank you for the video. I believe our existence on this beautiful blue dot is a miracle living and thinking with awe and wonder. Perhaps that's why we are tested by the Universe with daunting tasks one after another.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m off to watch the video as soon as I post this comment ... when I follow a link it often leads me down a rabbit hole and I forget to come back to my starting point ... I am sure that I will enjoy and learn from this and thank you in advance !

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting post, love the quote by Neil Armstrong to remind us how small we are in the Universe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Humankind-ness & The New Umbrella For Our Times