White Rock And A Rainbow Of Comforts

THE CROSSWALK looked airy, as if it was about to fly off into the morning light, during my recent visit to White Rock. Some balked at the special attention given to a group that adopted the rainbow symbolically as their own. The bright bands of colour had been vandalized but renewed, painting the small City undeterred and inclusive.

A row of stoic old trees stood nearby, rooted at the foot of the White Rock Elementary playground. Over the years, the trees have seen thousands of children grow away from the seasonal shady comforts of their branches and leaves.

Around the corner I was surprised the United Church, scheduled to be torn down, was still standing. The door was closed after being opened for decades, not only providing religious services but Christmas dinners and cold-weather shelter. I believe it will be replaced by a smaller church and apartments for seniors that might look like THIS.

Do you have a keepsake that travels with you? Mine is a tiny heart (below) that my ill dad sent me from a hospital to bring me comfort when I was a child. I memorialized it with a picture, entwining my trinket to the church's door handle, imagining the endless hands that touched the latch in hardship and in happiness. The portal will change into something unfamiliar, perhaps, but the goodwill, like my father's gift, will last.


See OUR WORLD to explore more sights from around the globe.

Still the kid I used to be

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle and Penelope Puddlisms: BC Life Is A Whale Of A Ride to view more West Coast scenes.

Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

Comments

  1. rainbow crosswalk is a kind of creative design.
    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sorry the church with all it’s history is to be razed. But what a beautiful legacy the people who made up the congregation leave and I’m sure will carry on with wherever they get together next. I’m also terribly sorry there are people who think vandalizing and destroying is the answer when they don’t agree with something. The thing is, the people who react like that are always both wrong and on the wrong side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad when churches are no longer needed and I wish it had been converted to something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a rainbow-colored suitcase belt strap and a leisure sheet. I don’t want the society and the world excluding but including. Your goodwill will work on the reform of the old United Church into more functional and comforting smaller church and elderly residence. The legacy will be continued in the need of the time.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the rainbow, some people must be upset with what the rainbow flag stands for now. It is sad to hear the church is to be torn down. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes to that rainbow crossing! It's a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the rainbow road. I'm glad you had a chance to photograph the church again before it was torn down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame, you must all be sad to see it go. A pity it can't be saved as it looks a lovely church. I keep an angel charm in my purse. It goes with me everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How touching to pass on your father's goodwill, as well as your own, with that lovely heart necklace. For many years, I wore the baby rings of my two children as part of a necklace. It was a constant reminder of two of the best events ever in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The story of the heart sent to you by your father is touching, and the connection to others by suspending it from the door handle adds great significance - even for a curmudgeon like me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather