A recent appointment took me to Vancouver and the window overlooking False Creek and city skyline where
Science World's dome was dressed like a soccer ball for FIFA playing at
BC Place. I watched a few televised matches and got swept up in the energy, just as crowds in the stadiums did. Their wild excitement reminded me that humans once gathered in coliseums and town squares for contests ending in death and public executions. Now we settle for relatively mild injuries and distant violence, easier on our supposed “evolved sensibilities.” Still, FIFA players showed we are better off entwined in hugs and handshakes at battle's end. And as my poem for
Poets and Storytellers United suggests, a desperate need to win, not just in sports and physical fights but in emotional arguments, can have us unraveling as if our very survival hangs by a thread.
At ground-level amid the highrises, victory for seagulls means heisting a tasty snack.
...Vancouver certainly is a WOW city and the soccer ball adds a bit more excitement, Maria..
ReplyDeleteyes an improvement that competitions end with a handshake but where does the need come from 'to conquer over' ~ have not come so far from the roman days ~ beautiful photos and you write so well ! Hugs ^_^
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting on my blog ~
an artist reflects
Beautiful photos of the skyline. I love the soccer ball!!
ReplyDeleteThe views over False Creek, Burrard Bridge, and the Science World dome decorated like a soccer ball are fantastic! Your poem is a wonderful piece of writing paired with a very poignant metaphor.
ReplyDeleteExcellent shots!
ReplyDeleteHappy SkyWatch... and thanks for sharing. Would like to visit!
ReplyDeleteGreetings by Heidrun
I love the tension between compassion and callousness in your poem.
ReplyDeleteStunning views, Amazing place.
ReplyDeleteI'm currently reading a novel set in Vancouver, so it's good to see something of the place in your photos just now. And your poetic reflections are very pertinent.
ReplyDeleteAmazing city.
ReplyDeleteI love the photos and the city of Vancouver. But your poem has left me thinking: what is fair, and what is not, when ‘death is at the edge and living is the sole prize’?
ReplyDeleteLovely photos and a well worded poem.
ReplyDeleteYes existence is a cruel contest atm The photos of Vancouver are beautiful
ReplyDeleteThe photographs along with the poetry - stunning!! I like the phrase sudden gasp ... Both collapse and coexistence are so precariously entwined ...you make it palpable in your poem.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful view and I love how you carry the idea of the battles we have historically always waged and the complications of compassion and survival - Jae
ReplyDeleteGreat snapshots Penelope! The soccer ball provides the emphasis, a wonderful philosophy, A most admiring end to shake hands on completion of every game!
ReplyDeleteHank
Your poetry is poignant. So strong and heartfelt for me. Love the pics of the city!
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI love the views of the city skyline. The ball dressed for the FIFA game is cool.
The gulls are quick to grab a snack. Great photos and poem.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend!
Looks like a very busy skyline. I like the football embedded within it.
ReplyDeleteWhen I see those tall buildings all crowded together it reinforces everything I dislike about cities. As for gladiatorial sports in times past, hockey is not far removed from it. And fights are staged at the White House where people fight each other until one is knocked senseless, all the while cheered on by spectators. Blood lust has not been left behind.
ReplyDeleteA powerful poem and I found your analogy between sports of old and those of today, thought provoking. I grew up not liking sports much but I was interested in the World Cup and the enthusiasm of the fans. Fine views of Vancouver, it's a veritable metropolis.
ReplyDeleteThought-inspiring words! Lovely photos.
ReplyDelete