Family Day With Pets & Poetry

President's Day in the US is Family Day in Canada. School was out and many went walking with kids and pets. An eagerness for Spring was in the Crescent Beach air. 


While we dream of shedding coats, trees dream of leaves to dress up their branches.
Benches lured passersby to pause and breathe in the coastal scenery but few stopped.
Many families include pets and mine was no exception. Skippy was one of my earliest. I wrote about him when I was a child. Even then I couldn't resist a good rhyme. 

I have a dog his name is Skippy
He's really cute and sometimes frisky
Curly hair is what he's got
Bark he does but not a lot
He likes to follow me each day
Mostly when I go to play
I love my Skippy indeed I do
This I know he loves me too


The Poets and Storytellers United prompt "through discipline comes freedom” didn't result in a poem but merely the thought that it is often uncomfortable and requires discipline to learn new skills. But once achieved, they can provide certain freedoms. Learning words provides greater freedom of expression, learning to drive provides freedom of travel, learning musical notes provides freedom to play an instrument, learning to listen frees the mind of prejudices and leads to better understanding. Indeed, it is clear that there are endless freedoms to gain through discipline.


Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the  Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

HOLD ONTO THE LIGHT

Comments

  1. Oh ~ Skippy sounds very loving ~ so glad you still honor him ~ sweet photo and yes to 'discipline ~ to paraphrase ~ 'learn rules to break them' ~ always a wonderful post, photos and art works here ~ thanks ~ hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...you have some gorgeous surrounding to enjoy. Have a wonderful spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the whole idea of family day!! It looks like a great time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still miss and love my childhood pet, Buster - love and memories don't fade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard great things about Crescent Beach. I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your thoughts on discipline/freedom. And your cold weather photos look very beautiful, including those bare branches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am impressed with your poem...what a talented little girl !...Rall

    ReplyDelete
  8. Family Day is such a lovely holiday. I think Children’s Day of my country would be equivalent to it. “It is clear that there are endless freedoms to gain through discipline” sounds so encouraging. Self-discipline to learn guides us to more freedom. I hope many young in difficult conditions can pursue learning for political freedom, environment, and so on. In the photo Maria you look so nice and happy. Thank you for sharing such a precious photo with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the thought that, where you are, humans are waiting to shed coats and trees are dreaming of wearing more leaves...!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A poet from the beginning! I agree with your take on things. I can express myself much more freely when I go through the discipline of understanding the medium I'm working with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad that the dogs were out for walks on Family Day. Ours would like our faces, or want to, so they could show their love for us. Nice childhood poem. I had written a few but they are long, long lost.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet poem. Looks like a lovely way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Family day is a great idea, everyone is able to get outdoors and enjoy the day.
    Skippy sounds like a cute family pet, love the photos and the poem. I miss all my old dogs. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello :=)
    I love the idea of a family day outing with the children and dogs. Your photos of the scenic views are really beautiful, those snow capped mountains are breathtaking- We never get snow where I live, but plenty of rain. Your childhood poem is charming, as is your photo as a young girl. Oh yes, discipline and learning go hand in hand, I couldn't agree more.and poetry is an art that is inspired and inspiring.
    All the best
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love families spending time together in nature. Kids learn so much by there early experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your Skippy poem, how fun!!! The photo with lone bench captured my attention immediately ... something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a stark beauty depicted in your shots. I love your child's poem. I didn't write my first poem till I was about 19. Something about a blue china cup...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't know that about Family Day. What a lovely concept. Love your poem (impressive!) and the gorgeous pictures from where you life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A Family Day is wonderful! Such lovely images and another delightful poem. My first dog was close in name to yours. Mine was Skipper.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the poem about Skippy! He sounds like a wonderful companion.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so well written, Penelope. There are great achievements to be made. Love Skippy and the photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather