Heroes & Helpers

I am no butterfly fluttering freely, independent of all else, though I sometimes imagine I am. The Poets and Storyteller United prompt "I couldn't have done it without you" had me realizing how accidentally or purposely many lift me up along the way.
Interdependent no matter how strong our "wings" might feel, we are effected and assisted by what others do. From a chain of unknown folk who facilitate daily comforts, to those who spread supportive messages and etch wiser paths to tread, to nearby and virtual friends and strangers. Personally, I don't know what I would do without each and everyone of you.
Of course, our four-legged friends bring an especially warm glow to the shadows.
And lest we forget ... Remembrance Day in Canada is on November 11th. The poppies we wear, tiny expressions honouring those who fought for just causes. The grievances leading to two world wars have dug us into the mire of current hostilities. What would we do without those who fight our battles or intrepid reporters exposing devastation within combat areas or humanitarians and doctors stepping into danger, bringing critical aid to people in war zones. We can't do life without heroes and helpers.
Yet what a marvelous dream if everyone everywhere put down their arms, stopped this mad destruction of the planet, life and structures. Most agree protecting the homeland from invaders is instinctual even noble. But when innocents are crushed in the lines of fire and the lines between righteous defender and ruthless aggressor blur ... generals can't do war without soldiers we send into battle. Let's evolve to inspire a better way. 




Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the  Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

Comments

  1. ...I didn't realize that Donovan sang Universal Soldier. I often listen to Buffy Sainte-Marie's version. I consider myself a pacifist, and now our grandson is a Army medic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long time since I've heard that song. The John Lennon lyrics come to mind: Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot listen to those lyrics without crying .... will never forget them as The Killing Fields came to an end.

      Delete
    2. You post is impactful, stirring ... yes, we need to find a better way. Our Veterans Day is November 11, also a day of remembrance.

      Delete
  3. Old men start the wars and the young men fight them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just praying for good for our planet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mankind seems firmly on the path of self destruction. Hope am proved wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always very leery of those who begin conversations with, “I don’t care what anybody says.” I then pretty much no longer care what they say. As for war, and the continuation of war, and human greed, avarice, brutality and the capacity for more brutality, it is sadly the only constant in the history of Homo sapiens, an entirely inaccurate epithet! Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A thoughtful reminder that life is a team endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, those 'angel strangers'! And the good friends too. What blessings they are.
    Remembrance Day is November 11 in Australia too. And yes, it is very sad indeed that so many, now, don't remember well enough, and so few understand the truth in 'Universal Soldier'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We can't do life without heroes and helpers. Glad you gave a nod to the angel strangers the virtual friends who get you through trials and tribulations. I love your little poem and relate to its message.....Rall

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh beautiful angel strangers everywhere. Here remembrance day is in April and we wear poppies as well. Yes the sad thing about war is that so many families and children get killed and hurt. When does world peace break out

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mood has been kept sinking. Men’s brutality and stupidness has never changed. I hadn't known “Universal Soldier" till now. War cannot exist without soldiers - the idea gave me different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,
    Yes it so true, we need those angels who help to lift us up. They can be friends or strangers, I loved you poem and the photos. Cute doggie, I am sure the dog brings smiles to it's humans. I am not a fan of war , I pray for peace and the safety of our soldiers who are willing to give their lives to protect us. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the poem and the song. The way things are going, and countries getting more aggressive, I'm afraid it's going to get worse. We have to be vigilant and protect ourselves (with technology, financial, our borders, you name it) at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Let's evolve to inspire a better way." I'm game - if only.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post is inspiring, and a great reminder to look for the helpers in all that is happening - for they are everywhere. Thanks for your visit to my blog. Gratitude for what is is what keeps me going in these troubled times......Mother Earth still showering us with beauty in spite of everything........thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, we're all interconnected and depend on each other in various ways. Thank you for sharing these meaningful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello :=) A smile by a stranger in passing can make someones day. Yes, we are indebted to our angels and helpers who could be friends or strangers, it doesn't matter, what matters is they give us help in our hour of need. I love the song, and your poem. I am reminded of the John Lennon lyrics "Imagine there are no countries" What a wonderful world it would be without wars and hate.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm delighted by your inclusion of "angel strangers". There have been lovely chance meetings that enriched my life too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thankfully there are many earth angels who appear when we most need them. They are there to remind us that there are good people in the world and not to lose hope. One day, one day, a more peaceful world, for the sake of children and their chilldren's children everywhere, and here I am living in hope. Thank you for such a powerful post, the beautiful images and the song. I always enjoyed Donovan but it's been a long time since I heard him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather