Home Sweet Homes

Son of Senator John Percival Jones, the founder of Santa Monica, once lived in this 19th century heritage house turned museum. It was moved a short distance from its original location decades later to make way for a development project. The tour within was less about the possessions of one family than a multicultural gathering of art and history representing the people who made this community their home.
I also ran into a house of worship (below) but, in this case, the doors were locked. Luckily, one doesn't need the confines of religious walls to feel a sense of serenity.
I found another door (below) I couldn't enter. It was gorgeous but ...
sometimes the door to "home" is simply within ourselves. My dad passed away years prior to my mom's unexpected death in my twenties. Not only was she a literal home where my life began, she was my psychological home so it was a long inner journey back from the shock.
Thankfully, I never lacked a physical home but the Poets and Storytellers United prompt "what feels like home" had me reflecting that it is great to sleep under the stars unless you truly need a roof over your head ... and many do. Affordability and disasters of all kinds leave millions homeless throughout the globe while others live comfortably. In Santa Monica, I saw many lovely homes and apartment buildings.
The Georgian (above) is a historic building styled in Art Deco. After opening as a hotel in 1933, it transitioned to apartments at various stages, coming full-circle by reopening as a hotel in 2020. It was, maybe still is, a retreat for Hollywood stars and executives. During prohibition it was a speakeasy and gangsters occasionally entered its doors. From selling alcohol illegally to later housing servicemen and aircraft designers throughout WWII, these walls have many tales to tell, if they could talk.
The historic sun-washed Charmont Santa Monica (above and below) in Mediterranean and Art Deco styles was a 1920's luxury hotel. A short distance from the beach, it was later converted to apartments. It suffered significant damage in the 1994 earthquake but was restored. Some homes do endure and stay true to their original appeal.
There is also the "house of mouse". In Burbank, The Walt Disney Studio headquarters (below) signifies a happy place to work which it may or may not be. Wherever you feel at home is home ... a place free to create, mess up and relax with no need for masks or mouse ears (unless that's your thing) or to pretend to be who you are not.
Explore more at Poets and Storytellers United and SKYWATCH


Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the  Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

HOLD ONTO THE LIGHT

Comments

  1. Your poem is inspiring and speaks to me most definitely ~ Nature ~ being outside is wonderful to me but that is because I have a beautiful home and don't want for shelter ~ Delightful photos of 'homes' in Santa Monica ~ You are a most creative soul ~ thanks for being you ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you... To lose your Mom so young! My grandmother lost her mother when she was only 11 yrs old! Am sure that must have had an impact on her, and the trajectory of her life... I love your phrase: "sometimes the door to 'home' is simply within ourselves." Indeed, beautifully said... Lovey post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is no good age to lose a mom but at the vulnerable age of eleven would most certainly be world shattering.

      Delete
  3. I've rarely visited Santa Monica, but I'm thinking I need to go! Looks like there's a lot to see. I love the Georgian building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful poignant poem The buildings are gorgeous I love Art Deco. I had to lookup speakeasy and learned it was an illicit drinking club. I wasn't aware that there was once a prohibition in the USA. Yes it is always a problem that things go underground. That's one of the reasons that cannabis was decriminalised in the Netherlands. Therefore the police could focus on more dangerous stuff and had more control

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, losing parents made me feel adrift for a while. I still miss them.
    I love old historic hotels. You can sense the stories there unlike a Holiday Inn Express which I can't sense anything there.
    Beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photos of these old historic buildings. We can't build 'em like that anymore. Hopefully more are restored than demolished. It is depressing to me that church doors are now locked outside of service hours. Used to be you could always step in for a moment of peace and silence. As you say....luckily that isn't necessary for serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your poem is poignant. The pain of losing a loved mother is beautifully expressed...Rall

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed. Heart. Home. Soul. When we move our home follows us everywhere. There is no escape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the art deco building. Your poem landed me in my mother's kitchen, the warmth, colors and smells.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful and fascinating post in so many ways, and i love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got interested in the culture of Santa Monica; the buildings with architectural beauty of each style and the fantastic beach (the last post). Your poem is touching. Losing a parent at such sensitive age would have been traumatic. Mother is a psychological home, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your poem is so touching. Love it! I love Santa Monica but didn't get the chance to explore the area much. The Georgia reminds me of South Beach in Miami.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my best times as a teen was sitting, perhaps helping her some, as she cleaned the eggs after my sis and dad had gone to bed. I don't remember a thing we talked about but for sure we covered many subjects.
    Nice collection of neat homes. Our Galveston, nearby city on the Gulf, has a neat collection of old and historic homes. The one I liked best was the home of Jean Lafitte (find him in Wikipedia), a famed French pirate. Our home was over 100 years old when the new owners bulldozed it and then burned the pile.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look him up, Jim. What a remarkable life and home!

      Delete
  14. Your post about Santa Monica's history and the meaning of 'home' is really interesting. Your poem about your mother and the idea of home was touching. The pictures you shared are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not only was she a literal home where my life began,
    she was my psychological home so it was a long inner journey

    How nice to be given a run-through of neighboring homes in the community of old. And a lovely acknowledgment for a loving mother. Thanks for sharing Penelope!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a beautiful poem. So sorry to hear you lost your parents so young.. I can't even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely poem and a perfect memorial for your dear mother also!.... Santa Monica is quite a unique and fascinating place for sure -- you capture it well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Home is both a physical and a metaphorical place we all cherish, and it may have a different meaning for many.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, for me, a mother is a huge part of home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather