My Slip Into Neverland

Even on days when I feel very old, the kid in me is tugging at my sleeve for attention. So it's no wonder the Poets and Storytellers United prompt to write about "a fantastic first line in literature" brought me to: "All children, except one, grow up" by J. M. Barrie who wrote about Peter Pan and a floating island in the sky called Neverland.
Neverland is slipping into a mind shift where Peter isn't the only one who never gets old. On the surface it appears we have outgrown childhood but the dancing, playing, sometimes teary-eyed resistance to sharing, and mostly wonderment and curiosity gives us away. Of course, our games are more serious and building blocks bigger ... which brings me to all the construction happening in and around my neighborhood.
We have a tendency to tear down and start anew rather than preserve. So a lovely stone fireplace, rubble and smashed glass are all that remain of a once beautiful home.
Funny how I was thinking about broken glass for my post last week and saw it manifested in front of me a few days later but too late for the post. Below, I took a picture of a picture stuck on the side of a big truck at a construction site. 
There's a thin line between fantasy and reality and even reality can be questioned.
Unfortunately, it's rare to see homes surviving one-hundred years as the one above has done. I've heard this charming house endured a fire a few decades ago and was rebuilt maintaining most of its original structure.
A cat crept down the steps and settled into a woolly ball to guard the home.
It's been hot but more bearable with trees for shade and cooling breezes by the water.
Sails flapped like tissue paper on the small boats (above) for learners.
Whether a kid or grownup with pets, we never stop playing or imagining.
When I saw the toy (below) I thought of the crocodile in the Peter Pan story that ate a pirate's hand (Captain Hook) and swallowed a clock. The ticking clock sound perhaps a warning of life's limited time to explore, learn, create, find purpose and enjoy.
Explore more at Poets and Storytellers UnitedSKYWATCH and Saturday's Critters


Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the  Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

HOLD ONTO THE LIGHT

Comments

  1. I hate to see old homes or buildings being torn down. But you're right, people don't seem to have much interest in preserving the old structures, which is too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I feel I like a kid still, especially since I retired. Every day has fresh possibilities.
    We build stuff up and then tear it down and have been doing so forever. In my geocaching hobby I have learned about whole subdivisions that were built here in Tulsa and then torn down after several decades. If you know where to look you can see the remnants of streets, curbs, and foundations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what delightful post ~ preservation is so important ~ newer doesn't always mean better ~ I am so enjoying your photos bringing out the child in all of us ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, I do agree with the first stanza of your poem, especially “The inner spark not snuffed out”. Ageing is inevitable, outside gloss might have extinguished but we are as young as we feel and think. The blue, white house is nicely renovated. I like old things and the loving use of them. The black wooly ball guardian and children on the shore are delightful to see. Stay cool and take care.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and viewing these images. Let's all try to keep our inner child alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always rejoice when old buildings are re-used and saved. Thanks for your delightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flesh and bones skulking about... nicely put!! Pity about that house.. preserving parts of history would have been nice...shame to tear it down like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping that sense of wonder alive is definitely the way to stay young!

    Perhaps there is something in all of us which thrills to, 'Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... you know the tale well, Rosemary. So glad you shared those stirring wondrous words. :)

      Delete
  9. It is sad to see so many old buildings being destroyed....I am pro recycling and preservation. Age is not for everyone....I'm not doing it:) Rall

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm grateful for the gift of time bestowed by life but often forget that I am old. Awareness of life's limited time is a gift, a reminder to savor each day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perhaps we would be happier if we were "old but not grown up." I mean, still have the childlike trust and joy in new discoveries, and playfulness. What a large tag on that cat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think one of the most important powers we can have is the ability to hold on to our inner-child. Yes, the flesh and bones and hair and well... everything gets a bit rundown, but the soul can be forever young (if we let it). I will never stop climbing trees or dancing in the rain. All right, so these days, I can rarely climb beyond the first branch and I can't exactly dancing in the rain in my undies, but the wonder remains. Those pirates better watch themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Haha ... I'm ready for the fight and with you all the way!

      Delete
  13. You and I share many sensibilities .... I simply love this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never had a store-bought toy boat when growing up but an old bottle with a lid did just fine in getting me to Neverland. I cannot remember when I was rescued from there. Hint, when I was in the seventh grade I found out the real truth of Santa Claus. I enjoyed your poem, a quick glimpse of travel to Neverland, your way.
    Pictures were nice also. My favorite was the old house.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why grow up? I like old houses...hope it's not being smashed up to make room for some horrible apartment block.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,
    I hope you never loose that spark. I am getting old but I am happy I am still moving. Love the grand house with the kitty, I am glad it was renovated after the fire. At least the dog can jump in the water and cool off. Love the pretty trees and the beach scene. 'All the world is made of faith and trust and pixie dust.' Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We should never totally grow up. At the very least we should not lose our sense of wonder. Life really is too short for that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goals at this stage of life are all really about hanging on to the joys that come naturally to children: Go outside to play. Watch the clouds and dream -- be surprised when a new flower blooms -- look for seashells or pretty rocks -- be astonished. Never take ordinary days for granted. Be happy for no particular reason. I'll call it child-like, not childish. There's a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The child within us remain forever young, as we grow everything is still a game but on a bigger scale...resonating with this:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the dog and man companions on the boat! Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather