Dreamy State Of Mind

I gave a painterly touch to a photo taken years ago of my daughter and I in bare feet squishing along the soft sandy beaches of Tofino on Vancouver Island. The scene got me reminiscing about dreams that puffed away over time and those that stayed.

Dreams run into reality and can seem like unreachable stars sometimes so we leave familiar landscapes to fulfill our desires in other places, one day circling back home.

I am drawn to circles. When raindrops fall into puddles they make multiple lovely expanding circles that become tempting portals of the imagination. Curvy with no pointy edges, the shape evokes calmness and can be mesmerizing.

It inspires patterns, allegories and thoughts of eternity, as it has no beginning or end.

Circles also inspired a poem by Gilbert Thomas. Found in a 1968 copy of Poetry Circus by Stanton Coblentz, Thomas spun a beautiful tale of completion and fulfillment encircling a wistful weary soul. I hope you enjoy reading it (below).

On the Sea-Front by Gilbert Thomas

The long day comes full circle, 
  Its early light returns.
What all have heard as theory
  Each in his own time learns. 

For me the hours are rounding,
  Never might there have been 
Neon's dazzle that was darkness:
  So clear again the scene.

Splendour has wheeled to splendour,
  Though broken appeared the ring,
Sunset completes the sunrise
  That made my childhood sing.

The cycle is accomplished.
  Present fulfils the past
As, through the glare of custom,
  Wonder leaps back at last.

The long day comes full circle,
  I look, I gasp. Once more
I stare, like any infant,
  At sky and sea and shore. 
********



Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

HOLD ONTO THE LIGHT

Comments

  1. I've read that some Native Americans think of time as a circle instead of a straight line. I think they are onto something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative photo edits. I like your comment about "Dreams run into reality and can seem like unreachable stars sometimes." So true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Circles.....becoming portals of imagination" Lovely! And I love the 2 top photos that appear to be Dreamscapes "running into reality" :) Always inspiring....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem and images. I love the first two artsy beach images. Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the lantern, it has amazing eye-catching decor :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a lovely picture of you and your daughter. It does look beautifully dreamy with the embellishments you added.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your thoughts on circles. I did enjoy your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing what can be done with photo editing software. As for the concept of circles, I suppose that all of life is circular in many ways. I was sadly reminded of this recently when learning of the rapidly deteriorating condition of someone with dementia, who now needs diapers and has to be fed. Full circle, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating post! I enjoyed your thoughts on circles. And the images are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how great maria to find you on Poets United You pictures are beautiful but you language is always poetic for example I love how you say "Dreams run into reality and can seem like unreachable stars' Love the poem by Gilbert Thomas as well

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greetings and Salutations! Your writing is as wonderful as your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From beginning to finish ~~~ a beautiful treat for all of us! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely poem and images ` ~ love your daughter joy in the first one ~ Xo

    Wishing you laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely... I do like all those circles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rain drop puddles - life is a full circle - lots to contemplate here

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maria, I enjoyed your thoughts on circle, the photos which are uniquely yours, and the poem. We are in the endless circle of birth, death, and rebirth and circle is my favorite pattern like yours. “Dreams run into reality and can seem like unreachable stars” feels so true, but the lyrics of “Impossible Dream” (Man of La Mancha) encourages me. In fact, there are many people fighting various enemies in daunting difficulty.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always find the more hopeful path, Yoko. Thank you!

      Delete
  17. I like your painted photos, the dreaminess to them. I think of life as circles and spirals more than straight lines. And, thank you for sharing Thomas’ poem. His ending, so true for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The poem is so very lovely and yes so are your own perfectly illustrated words . We have been fortunate enough to walk a couple of circular meditation paths; the poem would be perfect to read before doing that. Your photographs at the beginning of the post made wonderful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A rock dropped in a pond has the same ripples on larger scale. Both inspire different thoughts each time. Carry a pencil.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the photo edits too! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post, lovely images and the first edited photo of you and your daughter is joyful! I enjoyed reading the poem. I absolutely love poetry! Gilbert Thomas is new to me and I thank you so much for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather