Marvelous Minutes Amid Looming Troubling Interests

Perhaps you heard about a "Freedom Truck Convoy" in Canada blocking bridges and camping out by Parliament in Ottawa. Boisterous and intimidating, this group caused distress and opened eyes to ties with far right groups in the U.S. It was initially about mandates but this protest was/is about much more. These folks shamelessly blocked the freedoms of others for three weeks while yelling "freedom" and wrapping themselves up in the Canadian flag. The Canadian flag represents a country of freely elected leaders where, as the anthem says, "... we stand on guard for thee”. This includes selflessly guarding the collective good by encouraging vaccines, masks and mandates because public health and safety are rights we don't want to lose. My flag (above) and heart goes to officers who disbanded the occupation as peacefully as circumstances allowed. The bigger story of Canada in this pandemic is of sacrifice and unity. It is thanks to an avalanche of people protecting each other and "complying" that the light of hope exists after a long journey through a bleak tunnel. 

There are also more serious intimidation's as Russia threatens Ukraine, drawing in Canada, the U.S. and Europe. Growing up hearing mom's Ukrainian songs, my heart is with the Ukraine, although I've never set foot on its lands. While horror looms, I walk closer to home in and around Crescent Beach where rising seas are an issue and seahorse images abound. Sightings of these magical creatures and other delights take my mind off the gloom for a while and inspire artistic interpretations of some photos. It's a puzzler why mankind cannot marvel more peacefully at our one shining moment on Earth. Perhaps it is a lack of astonishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson said: "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." 


Explore more at SKYWATCHOUR WORLDSaturday's Critters & Weekend Reflections.

Still the kid I used to be

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle and Musings of A Puddlist In B.C. to view more West Coast scenes.

Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.




Comments

  1. Hello,
    Lovely images, The sailboats and the seahorses are some of my favorites. I worry about Russia going after Ukraine too, who will they go after next?
    Take care, enjoy your day and your week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in troubled times for sure. Going through the same kinds of things here in U.S, as you probably know. Over a year now since the attack on the Capitol by insurrectionists who wanted to "gain control" of the country and "take back their freedom and rights." (Like the freedom to attack their own Capitol???) Strange world indeed.

    I too appreciate those who "comply" and use common sense during the pandemic, protecting each other...

    I actually have ancestors from Canada, so I have a special place in my heart for Canada :) I even get goosebumps when I hear the Canadian anthem. Must be in the DNA:)

    I really like your second image of a seahorse, capturing the woman behind... It captures me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wholeheartedly glad that the occupation of Ottawa is over. Every time those insurrectionists claimed to be seeking freedom for all Canadians it made my blood boil. They certainly did not speak for me. We live in troubling times, and when I see demagogues like Paul Polievre speaking in the House of Commons, I can't help but wonder how we can elect such people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your thoughts about the convoy. So many of my conservative friends here in the US suddenly became so concerned about these protesters rights and talk about the fascist police denying their rights. These are the same conservatives who were livid during the protests in Portland and demanded law and order. It's maddening.

    The whole situation in the Ukraine is very concerning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strolling around seashore look surely soothing. I, too, walk for peace of mind. I shared your emotion, Maria. I especially love the little red door, Seahorses, sailing in stars, and the puddle reflection. There seem to be many people who don’t understand the true meaning of freedom. Some people insist on their own freedom without respecting others'. More rules are made, which creates more conflicts unfortunately. Some more people come to want powerful authoritarian figure, without knowing it could destroy “freedom”. That’s what I’ve been worrying about.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your beautiful shots amidst the serious narrative. I guess I'll have to stop saying I'll move to Canada if things get crazier in the U.S. Sounds like you have similar problems to what worries me here. Perhaps New Zealand would be an option. Seriously I can't afford to move and retire in another country but my ex-husband has been threatening to move to New Zealand if a certain crazy runs for reelection again so maybe I can stow away with him. Hopefully it won't come to that because it will be heart breaking if the U.S. elects a certain crazy again. The first time was bad enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The world seems to get crazier with each day ~ It is all so concerning ~ Perhaps someday people will learn to accept one another and work together ~ (I can dream, right?) Lol ~

    Your photography is very creative ~ I especially like the seahorses ~ Xo

    Wishing you lots of laughter in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really difficult times for all. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that only France had crazy people to manifest for freedom and was surprised that in Canada too ! These people don't know what freedom is, they should go with there manifestations to China or Russia and then they will know what freedom is ! I really don't know what is so difficult to accept a new vaccine ? I got my three and am still alive didn't even have any secondary effects. They are all cowards and "freedom" is a stupid excuse !

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart is with the people of Ukraine, I have been following the news closely. We are living in very strange times where there are those who want to be demagogs. I'm glad that the convoy has ended. We may be having something similar in DC, I read something this morning. Thank you for these wonderful images. Praying for better days for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maria - troubling times indeed. The seahorse images helped take my mind of the myriad of problems our world faces. I continue to be amazed at how people like to chant "freedom" when what they really want is to protect only their interests.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I saw in the paper this morning they are on their way to Washington DC. It's a messed up world we are living in, but on a happier note, your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    I do not mind protesting, as long as it is done safely. Blocking a road with traffic with the tractor trailer trucks is not safe. They only makes matters worse. I enjoyed the photos and the seahorses. My prayers are for the people of Ukraine and for peace in the world. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked all these beautiful images! The blockaders looked silly and their cause was sillier.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could wish the truck convoy people could get a taste of what it is like to live in a dictatorship before they claim they live in one. So sad that the sickness of this type of hatred has been imported from the United States to other countries. I enjoyed your seahorse pictures and the puddle picture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather