No Bones About It

My late mom once noticed a lone fly buzzing about. I told her to swat it, but she said it was her friend for the moment. That memory resurfaced when a moth landed on my screen door. It reminded me of how closely we’re tied to everything around us as we move through different stages of existence. We’re never alone, indoors or out, even when we don’t see the creatures that flitter, crawl, or scamper under our floors and amid the foliage. Some wander into our homes, as the moth might have wanted to before it flew off. The moth and mouse in my poem (at bottom) is about all sorts of flighty relationships hopeful for deeper meaning. Though the poem veers from the Poets and Storytellers United prompt "bones", I will note moths and flies have none, while mice, due to tiny vertebrae in their tails, have some 230, more than the 206 in humans. And oddly, horses, too, have about 206, their tails perfect for swatting flies.

Afterthought: In view of increasing wildfires worldwide, I wonder if we are equally a little bit moth, drawn to the light of our screens, and a little bit mouse, hiding from the damage we caused to the environment that we need to sustain us beyond the screens.

Explore more at Poets and Storytellers UnitedSKYWATCH and Saturday's Critters

Comments

  1. My insect thing is probably bees as they are so important to everything around us, have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I recall (years ago) a biology professor emphasizing that "evolution doesn't occur in a vacuum", and stressing that all living things are interrelated. A smart woman, your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet memory of your mom, Maria, and a deeply moving poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the story of the moth and the mice.
    You have brought a very important point to light…. Half the world’s population are attracted towards the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When mice and moths connect...mice eat moths!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I don't mind the deviation. I'm often fascinated by moths

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...stay safe, healthy and well this summer with the fires!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an interesting thought. We have rodents and chipmunk here - a menace. Cannot think them to be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Moths seem to be getting the attention they deserve nowadays. They were always second fiddle to butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You write the most wonderful poems. I need to think of some of our insects here as my friend. haha! LOVE the butterfly too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Maria
    Your poem is wonderful and I love the flowers and the butterflies. Lovely memory of your Mom. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful reflections and poem, Penelope. Nature heals the soul and brings so much joy to our days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the way you think! (and your mom before you obviously)! And how I stretch my mind whenever I see your lovely posts! Thank you for all you do. I'm pretty sure Lavender Dreamer in the comment above is thinking about a certain Florida insect that I also will never ever think of as a friend. But barring that one, I don't mind creepy crawlers at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a thoughtful and uplifting poem and post - I love the carving that illustrates the moth and mouse too - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  15. We should all take the time to appreciate nature in all its magical forms. I am principally a birder but in July and August I switch to insects as my primary focus and their world is diverse and fascinating. And vital. Let’s not forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything in your post, the preamble, photography, poem. Feeling a tad guilty about the flies/moths and mice who lives I've snuffed during my long life. Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the poem, and the wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments that are embedded with activated links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Bag Princess Gowns & Mom's Homemade Dresses

Angels & Demons

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit