Madly Divine

New Year's Day was divine. A remarkable light crept across the mountaintops and I could almost dissolve into the gray mist as I walked along the Crescent Beach shore. It was a good start for me but not for some others. Japan had an earthquake. How cruel that rescuers were killed but also fortunate that people in the plane that struck them were mostly unscathed. Wars dragged on and although a page-turn of a calendar doesn't change much, I'm usually surprised and briefly disappointed by that fact. Sometimes what seems like a beginning is simply a continuation.
Although I like to think that one day humankind will solve its problems wisely to the benefit of all, it might not be in my lifetime. The Poets and Storytellers United prompt "beginnings" fit the conflicting nature of my mood at the start of 2024. Amid worldly trauma, there is still much beauty and, if we're lucky, life to enjoy.
I took my cues from a photographer focusing on the magic of the moment and a swimmer braving the chilly waters. No, I didn't dive in but the butterfly tattoo on her arm brought to mind a refreshed appreciation for Carl Sagan's words: "We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever."
Explore more at Poets and Storytellers United and SKYWATCH


Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the  Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

BUTTERFLY BY JON BATISTE

Postscript Jan. 7th: I dedicate this post to 33-year-old poet, Maksym Kryvtsov, killed in action this New Year, a soldier defending Ukraine from Russia's invasion.

Comments

  1. There is so much trauma, but a few glimmers of hope can be grasped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed - the turning of the calendar of days doesn't change reality. I lose my idealism as well... But like the butterfly - maybe there will be some kind of "transformation" in the year ahead - and we can unfurl our crumpled wings and "skim a cosmic wave" on our way "Home." :) Beautiful photo of the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A decade ago, I would've said that your poem read like a page from a journal of someone living in post-apocalyptic times. But as we both know, in our world, apocalypse is now. It feels surreal... not just the happenings, but the fact that so many continue to pretend that it isn't happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Sagan quote. I'm sure it's true. And I'm glad we do experience it as if forever. We who are not at present experiencing war or other disaster are indeed the lucky ones. I think it behoves us to enjoy what we can while we can, even while not losing awareness of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey...I wasn't done. I love the photos and I tapped your puddle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "resurrect the divine plan from the mad manifestations"... this struck me... there is no way to explain to ourselves the level of destruction of life and planet and anything humane- that we are witnessing...and as we know, most pretending not to witness. Much to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ough, it's awfully cold to be in the water now!! It may be the only safe place on earth. Killings and shooting are several each evening any more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    Your photos are beautiful, the views of the mountains and water are always a lovely sight to me. Love the Carl Sagan quote! Are we getting used to all these disasters happening, possibly just numb. Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A thoughtful poignant poem I hope with you the tide will turn. Living in the moment and make the best of it is something we can do. A brave woman to dive in as it will be pretty cold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As sobering a new year poem could be ~~ a brilliant write.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have more hope in mankind than I but for the sake of our future generations I hope it is you that is correct. You poem is beautiful and sad and so apt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful image, sobering words but I wish you A Very Happy New Year, with the hope that things will get better for all in 2024. Your imagery gives me such a great feeling when I see them. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your poem, and I love the idea of God tinkering and that Carl Sagan quote!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great poem, great photos, I admire that woman setting out to swim on New Year's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nope, looks way too cold for a swim! Great photo of the photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous series of photos and life indeed is yin and yang and the golden middle of two extremes ~ hard to stay in the middle sometimes ~ for me that is key, though,
    You are filled with wisdom ~ thank you for being you ~ hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful captures and a poignant poem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful and poignant post today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love winter, but I'm not bathing outside wintertime

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoyed the music too! I am with you in working toward healing our one blue ball home. But to lose a poet to war is such a loss unimaginable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Profound and deeply moving. A fitting memorial to Maksym Kryvtsov and all who are impacted by conflict. Thank you for the thoughts and music.

    ReplyDelete
  22. “Humankind will solve its problems wisely”……hah! Putin’s finger is perhaps itching on the nuclear trigger as we speak. To say nothing of poisoned air, soil and water. I could go on, but what’s the point?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather