Last Rose Of Summer

A single rose in my garden survived this uncharitable season for flowers. I grasped its stem for a photograph. Later, searching for accompanying material, Safe In my Garden came into view. Written by John Phillips and recorded by his group, the famed Mamas and Papas of the sixties, the song still resonates. At that time, the Vietnam War caused political strife in America. It was the era of flower children but the tune will always be timely. There is a never-ending juxtaposition of calm and chaos in our world, destruction and re-mending. To me, the words symbolize the profound beauty and refuge that blooms when we make room in our hearts and minds for our own inner gardens. Listen to the brilliantly contrasting lyrics and harmonies HERE and below.


The lyrical first words of the song are as follows:

Written by John Phillips
(no copyright infringement is intended)

Safe in my garden
An ancient flower blooms
And the scent from its nature
Slowly squares my room
And its perfume being such
That it's causing me to swoon

See OUR WORLD to explore more sights from around the globe.

Still the kid I used to be

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle and Penelope Puddlisms: BC Life Is A Whale Of A Ride to view more West Coast scenes.

Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.

Comments

  1. Beautiful macro shot of the rose and always loved the Mamas and Pappas ~ lovely song ^_^

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful rose and I agree about how timely the song still is. Another one that I think continues to resonate is the Joni Mitchell song Big Yellow Taxi. It's sad for me when pockets of trees in downtown areas are cut down and frequently replaced with additional parking. I miss the green that's a buffer in between tall buildings and find myself humming, "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Folk music spoke to me back in the day. There doesn’t seem to be anything like that nowadays to express our outrage and sadness (or am I just too old to recognize it? That *is* a distinct possibility)). Your last rose of summer is a beautiful one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a sadness attached to the last rose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful this flower and the music!!!Thank you for your beautiful meaningful words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always excited to have the FIRST rose of summer....this is an extraordinary, BEAUTIFUL, image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last roses are always the most poignant. Meanwhile here my roses are in full bloom - although it is summer here and very unseasonably hot early. Thanks for the music share. Lovely. Have an enjoyable week. I am visiting you today from Our World Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Penelope - The last rose in your garden is so beautiful. Mine will last till the first frosty morning. I hadn’t known this song, though I know Mamas & Papas. Your words made me realize the depth of this song, so I checked the whole lyrics. Remembering those time in 60s, students were radically protesting against the Vietnam War and closed system of universities in Japan, too. I’m recalling the world and the protest and message songs back then. Indeed “There is a never-ending juxtaposition of calm and chaos in our world, destruction and re-mending."

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  9. We need a resurgence of the spirit of the Vietnam era protests in an age when political norms are being turned upside down and access to the truth is getting harder and harder. As I look back on that period it was indeed a golden age.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather