A Moment Of Respect & To Reflect On The Minute

I have only just a minute,
Only sixty seconds in it.
Forced upon me, can’t refuse it.
Didn’t seek it, didn’t choose it.
But it’s up to me
to use it.

I must suffer if I lose it.
Give account if I abuse it.
Just a tiny little minute,
but eternity is in it.


The recent unfortunate passing of the much-admired American politician, Elijah Cummings, reminded me of a poem (above) by Dr. Benjamin E. Mays that Cummings so passionately once read on the Congress floor.

Time is granted in empty minutes to do with as we please as the years slip through our fingers all too quickly like sand. I have a great respect for these "little" minutes, although I'm not sure that I fill them adequately.

If you fill each one well and pile enough of them together, sandcastles can be built, insurmountable odds beaten and all manner of barriers and borders brightened.

I remember the Crescent Beach fence painted mostly only with sunflowers until an artist named Jessica recently used her minutes to add more beautiful blooms.

I doubt Congressman Cummings was big on fencing but he probably would have loved the diversity of the flowers so this post is my bouquet to honour his memory and life.

See OUR WORLD to explore more sights from around the globe.

Check out more fences HERE.

Still the kid I used to be

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle and Penelope Puddlisms: BC Life Is A Whale Of A Ride to view more West Coast scenes.

Because the state of our planet is the most pressing issue of our time, link up and learn about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Report.





Comments

  1. You know, in what appears to be a sea of unprincipled villains and partisan hacks in the US Congress and Senate, Elijah Cummings stood out as a beacon of civility and decency. The world sadly needs more of his ilk and his passing should be deeply mourned by those of us who are appalled at what political discourse has sunk to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic painted fence and wonderful poem with such truth ~

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A huge loss for the Senate and United States in general. The fence is lovely. One year people from my school district got together to paint flowers on block walls along the major road in the community. It was an effort to reduce graffiti, especially gang tagging. It worked for a few years. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello

    Congressman Cummings was my favorite. I voted for him and I am sorry he has passed. Maryland will miss him, he was honest and a true patriot. I think his wife will be a good replacement. Unlike some others I will not name, there are too many. I love the painted flowers and the poem. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t think I fill my minutes as well as I should but people who do sure make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the words of wisdom and am in love with the painted fence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that contemplation about the little minutes... And that fence is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful reflection, and a good reminder to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the painted fence. The diversity of the various different flowers, tall and short, creates a beautiful harmony. I didn’t know the politician's name, but the light and energy emitted by such a politician worthy of respect must have been solely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely tribute to one of our true leaders (of which there are so few these days). Thank you..... My mother had a framed copy of that poem on her bedroom wall and quoted it to me often (always when she thought I should be suffering for not using those minutes). I did not know about Representative Cummings giving it on the House Floor and fund that incredibly interesting. Thank you for this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, your mom and the poem definitely had an impact, Sallie, as you do really seem to treasure your minutes!

      Delete
  11. Love the gorgeous fence and poem. Happy to read about the choice of Trudeau. He seems to be a decent human.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather