So Much In Life Hangs On Which Way The Votes Go

TWISTS and turns of politics can be heart-wrenching and disturbing as evidenced by the picking of a justice to the highest court in the US land. Watching events unfold as a Canadian observer hit home how elections matter more than ever, the big and small.

I could hardly wait to cast my ballot for mayor and city councillors in my world. I voted early at a recreation centre that had an intriguing piece of art near the entrance. The work captured what I was feeling in an inexplicable way.

The artists Ruth Beer and Charlotte Wall endowed Ribbon with a whimsical outlook. They explained: “Our sculpture is imbued with a ribbon’s qualities of joyous movement and the potential to form beautiful shapes. Whether by the flick of a wrist or randomly caught in the wind, it can be appreciated by people of all ages and cultures.”

Indeed, the work appeared to float off the ground happily as shadow and light played. Yet, after listening to the US news, I didn't see its motion as entirely carefree, realizing that until justice for women, for all assaulted people, is no longer placated and ignored, every pretty ribbon is a twist away from being tied into painful knots. So much depends on which way the wind blows and how each of our votes go.


See OUR WORLD to explore more sights from around the globe.

Still the kid I used to be

Visit Postcards From Penelope Puddle and Penelope Puddlisms: BC Life Is A Whale Of A Ride to view more West Coast scenes.

Comments

  1. That sculpture is hopeful. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ribbon sculpture does seem hopeful. And yes I agree with you on the horror here last week. Even if we manage too turn things around in the House and Senate in November (not a given unfortunately), the Supreme Court will make decisions affecting generations to come. We are so upset with what is happening in our country right now. I know my blog makes me seem like some ditz who doesn’t know what’s going on, but I use it as my happy place, a way to remind myself about the good things in life. Otherwise I sink into depression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this sculpture very much and the artists explanation for it. So important to vote, I will be in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, lovely sculpture. The ribbon explanation is joyous and hopeful. I am hopeful we can turn things around with our government with the November election.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A delightful sculpture. Voting is our only way to change things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ribbon sculpture looks so fluid. I like it and the explanation by the artists. Hope good wind come to let the ribbon dance in the air freely. Thanks for reminding me of the importance of voting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, I love the ribbon. And yes the supreme court justice hearing here in the USA was gut wrenching. And now we have the conservatives acting like they were the victims!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts add colour to the content and are always much appreciated. Please note comments embedded with links might not go through.

Popular posts from this blog

The Couch Art Where Bernie Came To Visit

The Door To Forest Magic At Sandy Trail

Fanning The Flames Of Extreme Weather